TL;DR: I got tired of using Wordpress for my websites, and decided to migrate this one to Hugo as guinea pig for the rest.
A much longer story made shorter: I now use Emacs to write Markdown for Hugo which generates a static website for me. I do not use org-mode because I encountered too much friction in the “workflow” and, for the most part, this works well enough.
There are hiccups. Most involve tracking down whether a problem is caused by Markdown, the Blackfriday renderer, or CSS tweaks, but there haven’t been any major blockers after I gave up on trying to use org-mode. Perhaps some day I will solve that, too.